Sunday, November 10, 2013

Once Upon a Time ~ Paula Guran

Once Upon a Time: New Fairy TalesOnce Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales by Paula Guran
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Another great find on Netgalley!

Summary:Eighteen extraordinary authors devise all-new fairy tales: imaginative reinterpretations of the familiar, evocative new myths, speculations beyond the traditional realm of "once upon a time." Often dark, occasionally humorous, always enthralling, these stories find a certain Puss in a near-future New York, an empress bargaining with a dragon, a princess turned into a raven, a king's dancing daughters with powerful secrets, great heroism, terrible villainy, sparks of mischief, and a great deal more. Brilliant dreams and dazzling nightmares with meaning for today and tomorrow...

My Take:
Being a huge fan of these "new" fairy tales I loved this book. Anyone who likes to get away from it all and enjoy a little magic now and again will enjoy this series of stories. The world seems to be captivated with breathing new life into tales that for many generations were considered for children only. I especially enjoyed the intro because I felt the editor enjoyed putting the collection together as much as I did reading it. I also like these multi author anthologies. Its a nice way to sample new authors. As with any grouping there were stories I enjoyed a ton and some that were just so, so. Overall there were some well done stories with some great twists as well as a few tales I had never heard of before. Totally worth the look.


No comments:

Post a Comment