Monday, May 6, 2013

Once Upon A Gypsy Moon ~ Michael C Hurley

Once Upon a Gypsy Moon: An Improbable Voyage and One Man's Yearning for RedemptionOnce Upon a Gypsy Moon: An Improbable Voyage and One Man's Yearning for Redemption by Michael C. Hurley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think we have all had those emotional stopping points. You know the kind that make you look at your life and say where am I going? Where should I go? Who am I now. This was a story about a man going through just that kind of reflection. AFter his marriage of 25 years ends.

Summary:Michael Hurley watched his world unravel in the wake of infidelity, divorce and failure. In August 2009, he was short of money, out of a job, and seeking to salvage a life that had foundered. Deeply in need of perspective, he took to the open seas in a 32-foot sailboat, Gypsy Moon. The story of his 2-year outward odyssey, deterred by rough weather and mechanical troubles, combines keen observation, poignant thoughts, and deeper introspection with glorious prose. 

Once Upon a Gypsy Moon also presents a rare and much-needed point of view on the familiar spiritual-journey narrative. It offers a star-crossed love story wrapped inside a rollicking good sea tale, but it also has something important to say to the reader about relationships, faith and disbelief, life and death, love and marriage, and what really matters.


My Take: 
First off I have to say this novel is well written. That being said it is a technically accurate account of one mans journey, via ship, to find himself and see the world. I was thinking this was going to be an emotional journey but it lacked the emotional pull of that kind of memoir. I'm not sure if it was just that I couldn't connect on that level with the author. Looking beyond that I have to say I did enjoy this story. I think in his own way the author shared what he was able to about his own struggle. If you are looking for an interesting story and enjoy boating I think this would be an excellent novel for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment